Gluten-free and fat free teabread. It’s also vegan and very yummy! This teabread gets better if you leave it for a couple of days before cutting it, due to the high fruit content.
(Vegan, gluten-free, makes 1 loaf)
225g dried fruit
170ml chai tea
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
175g demerara sugar
1 tbsp flaxseed meal and 2 1/2 tbsps water
Pinch of salt
1.Soak the fruit in the tea for 4 hours, or even better, overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Grease with a little veg spread and line a 2 lb loaf tin with baking paper. (Grease the paper too or the paper may stick to the loaf.)
3. Mix the water with the flaxseed and leave to stand. Blitz the oats into a powder to make oat flour.
4. Mix the oat flour, baking powder, salt and demerara sugar into the fruit and tea. Add the flaxseed and stir.
5. Spoon into the loaf tin and ease it into the corners with a spatula or the back of the spoon.
6. Bake for 1 hour. Leave in the tin to cool before transferring to a wire rack.